Sunday, August 19, 2012

An Excellent Day for Grasshoppers

Today was the first day in a long time that it was cool enough for me to venture outside.

7AM, the hot sun rays licking the ground like tongues of fire already.

From 8-10AM, I think I saw every grasshopper in the state of Texas and his mother.



Nature photography can be a hit-or-miss sort of thing. The last time I visited this park, I actually didn't take a single picture. Today, however, was definitely a "hit" for me.
Just goes to show, you should always give things (and persons) a second chance.


Today was the thrilling sort of day where every tall, clustered tuft of grass seethed with chirping, chattering, fluttering insect life. Silent, stalking, hiding, displaying wings and fleeing in alarm, they filled my viewfinder with their strange long and alien faces.


If only every day could be filled with the hedonism of such indulgence.


It was good to have such a productive break from the daily grind.



Sorry, but I haven't done any of the legwork on IDing these guys yet (except that I am pretty sure they are all Acrididae).
Moral of the story: Get up early, avoid the heat, get nice lighting, meet lots of grasshoppers.

Have a good week, everyone!

Photo info:
Nikon D70 + Tamron 100mm macro



No comments:

Post a Comment